Not that we’re going to any parties.
But now seems as good a time as any to use this time wisely and put in the hours to practise an existing trick. Or to at least find one for 2021.
I’ve compiled a list of 20 popular tricks and skills based on my ‘extensive market research’. (I basically Whatsapp’ed all of my contacts and discovered that I know a lot of weird and wonderful people with skilllllz.)
See if you can recognise yourself somewhere below:
- Touch your nose with your tongue. (Starting basic. My dog is really good at this though.).
- Apply lipstick a la Molly Ringwald in The Breakfast Club.
- Make floating spit bubbles. (Zac Efron can do this. And a hilarious girl called Katie on Instagram)
- Whistle super loudly. (See previous blog. Am still trying and have had numerous offers for tutoring.)
- Drop into the splits. (Seems like a boring one but you try doing the splits.)
- Following on from the splits…The ‘Mork & Mindy/Star Trek Vulcan hand sign’ of split fingers.
- Again with fingers, ‘stack fingers of one hand on top of one another’. (Niche… but a talent nevertheless.)
- Speak ‘havagav’. (Come on, it’s a skill. Loads of people just can’t master it.)
- Say the alphabet backwards, at speed.
- Do at least 20 keeps-uppies.
- Moonwalk. Properly.
- Perform ‘Jump Around’ word perfect. (You know who you are.).
- Perform ‘Fuck tha Police’ word perfect. (Different to person as above. You know who you are.)
- Tongue click/beatbox, especially to a Waltz tune. (You my darling, are completely on your own.)
- Bend just the tips of your toes a la Stacey Solomon. Also, bend just the tips of your fingers (You know who you are.)
- Flick eyelids inside out (a boy who sat in front of me at school could do this. Scary. But secretly in awe.)
- Dislocate shoulder and pop back in.
- Flip a ciggie from forehead to mouth seamlessly. (Cool af.)
- On the ciggie vibe again, blow smoke rings. (Married to cool af above. #couplegoals)
Am going to add one more for luck – my personal fave – because we need shitloads of luck in 2021.
This particular skill seems to have zero use, other than the fact that it impresses me. (Wife of friend who can do this trick says it’s ‘highly fucking irritating’.)
Sorry if I’ve built this up now.
Some of you might find it a letdown, but we’re at rock bottom with 2020 so hopefully things can’t get much crappier. Drum roll please…
21. Spin a pen – don’t @ me. It’s mesmerising.
My own personal skill? The ear wiggling.
An even cooler skill is creating something fabulous from a glut of ‘Celebrations’. (Seamless segway right there…)
In the 90s whilst studying in Manchester, I remember going to Oliver Peyton’s bar/restaurant called ‘Mash & Air’ and sampling dessert one night which blew my mind for its simplicity and yum factor. Randomly I saw the ‘recipe’ featured in a magazine so I ripped it out and kept it for posterity.
Anyway – here it is. Stuck in my recipe book. Although it’s hardly a recipe. More ‘simple instructions’. Either way, it creates something marvellous that appeals to me on every level/layer.
So, that’s it for the year.
Thank you for reading my blog and especially all the likes, comments and shares. It really does mean a lot to me and I hope to continue sharing my musings in 2021.
Happy HEALTHY New Year to all.